Monday, October 16, 2006

Muhammad Yunus took the risk and came on top


Thanks Creativexpressions blog for posting this great editorial on Muhammad Yunus' Nobel Peace Prize.

Here's someone who has not only made a huge difference to the lives of the individual people he's helped and the economy of the region, but he's set an example that can be used to reform the economic inequities that keep whole segments of the society in never-ending poverty.

There are so many people who would improve their lot if they only had a chance.

Case in point. Living in Los Angeles there are many undocumented workers in the area. Lot's of jokes and slander about Mexican workers who come to California to try to eek out a living here, when they can't support their families at home.

Yet these are hard-working men and women who are dedicated to helping their families.

I remember, years ago when I was in my 20s, I was working at a restaurant. I earned pretty good money in tips, and had no commitments so I could spend my money on whatever I liked.

One day I struck up a conversation with one of the men in the back - a dishwasher.

Do you know what he did with him money (and mind you he got no tips at all). He lived off of 20% of his earnings and sent the rest home to his family.

I found that so shocking.

I was slumming in the restaurant - between careers, sort of hanging out for lack of anything else to do. And here was this man really working hard to take responsibility for his family.

If we were to implement sane solutions such as Dr. Yunus' more broadly, we would not have "immigration problems," because we would make it possible for people in every country to thrive.

Our open border problem is only a problem because of financial inequity which we have the power to change.